Marcus Garvey Life and Lessons: A Centennial Companion to the Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers

Marcus Garvey Life and Lessons A Centennial Companion to the Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers I do not speak carelessly or recklessly but with a definite object of helping the people especially those of my race to know to understand and to realize themselves Marcus Garvey Halifax Nova Sc

  • Title: Marcus Garvey Life and Lessons: A Centennial Companion to the Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers
  • Author: Marcus Garvey
  • ISBN: 9780520062658
  • Page: 423
  • Format: Paperback
  • I do not speak carelessly or recklessly but with a definite object of helping the people, especially those of my race, to know, to understand, and to realize themselves Marcus Garvey, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1937A popular companion to the scholarly edition of The Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers, this volume is a collection of autobiographi I do not speak carelessly or recklessly but with a definite object of helping the people, especially those of my race, to know, to understand, and to realize themselves Marcus Garvey, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1937A popular companion to the scholarly edition of The Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers, this volume is a collection of autobiographical and philosophical works produced by Garvey in the period from his imprisonment in Atlanta to his death in London in 1940.

    One thought on “Marcus Garvey Life and Lessons: A Centennial Companion to the Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers”

    1. This is an amazing book; I wish I had encountered it earlier in life. While I don't agree with about 20 percent of it the man writes full and complete wisdom the other 80 percent. I'd recommend this to anyone

    2. A fascinating book. Only a brief comment is made about Marcus Garvey in most high school history books ending with a statement that he went to prison for mail fraud. In this book he answers the charges against him and reveals some of the opposition he faced when he first introduced his plan for African Americans to organize and enter the arena of world trade. His plans may have seemed grandiose, but were feasible. And in todays world of ethereal financial schemes actually seems a rather safe inv [...]

    3. A conglomerate of material in regards to Marcus Garvey that should be required reading for all persons of African descent, anywhere. In addition to his political stances, this volume also includes some of his poetry as well as lessons which are referred to as "Message to the People, The Course of African Philosophy". My person opinion is that this volume contains enough material that if we were to replace our current love for the King James Version Bible with Message for the People, we would be [...]

    4. I admit defeat. I was not equal to the material. I'm trying to school myself in African-American history but I'm setting this aside and reading other things instead for now. It's been a long time since I tackled primary-source style material like this and sigh.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *